Friday, May 22, 2015

Nehemiah 5:14-19

Nehemiah 5:14-19
English Standard Version (ESV)

  Nehemiah walked the walk.  Not only was Nehemiah willing to call out others on their treatment of the needy, but he was able to point to his own actions and demonstrate how he was willing to sacrifice for the benefit of others.  He was willing to work without a salary because he didn't need it, and he was willing to use his own resources to feed others.  He demonstrated, by his actions, his concern for the needy.
  When I look at my own life, I wish I could say there was that kind of proof to back up my words.  I have failed, time and again, to live up to the standard I would like to.  I have not lived in a such a way that I would implore others to duplicate it.  I suspect I am not alone in this position.
  But Christ gives us another chance.  God sets before us examples such as Nehemiah to teach us, and then he offers forgiven and redemption, calling us deeper into life, calling us to repent and live as we are called to live.  We are graciously not cut off at the first sign of failure, but rather invited into a way of life that is based on repenting of our wrongs and endeavoring to try anew the next moment, to once more attempt to imitate the selfless love that is poured out upon us.

No comments: