Tuesday, January 25, 2022

1 Peter 1:22-25

1 Peter 1:22-25 

  There are things in this world that are way too complicated.  I remember when I was younger, the alternator on our car went out.  I went to YouTube and watched a video about how to replace it on your own, and feeling empowered, I went down to the garage and opened the hood.  The alternator was visible, but to reach it required arms that bent in an extra three places, and even if I could get to it, I didn't know how I would turn the wrench to release the bolts holding it on.  Reality was way more complicated than I thought it was going to be.
  I think we sometimes make Christianity more complicated than it needs to be.  At least I often do.  The Bible has so much in it and I can feel guilty if I leave anything out, so I try and pack everything in, when 1 Peter tells us here that the simple message is to love one another earnestly.  That's step 1.  And when we're done with that, repeat.
  In every situation, if we ask ourselves what the most loving thing to do is, that probably won't steer us wrong.  It'll likely lead us closer to Christ, and closer to one another.

No comments: