Thursday, June 18, 2015

A Prayer for Thursday, June 18

Gracious God,
  Your love is not dependent upon our willingness or ability to receive it.  Like a geyser erupting from the ground, your love pours forth with great force, showering all, whether they are paying attention to you or not.  You love freely, with reckless abandon, hoping that all will understand that your love and grace are the path to ultimate joy and freedom.
  So many times, Lord, I get caught up in my own life, in my own troubles and strains, that I fail to properly grasp the goodness of your love.  I turn inward, paying attention to myself, and your love swirls around me, but I am unaware.  I focus on the self, while you call me deeper into your love, away from the self and towards you, who are selfless.
  Forgive my self-focus, my self-centeredness, my kingdom I have erected around the self.  Teach me to empty myself, that I may learn to love you more.

Amen

No comments: