Tuesday, June 16, 2015

A Prayer for Tuesday, June 16

Awesome God,
  I can't help buy be amazed at the unfolding of your plan.  When I look around the world, so often I see chaos and confusion, as humans reach for the nearest thing possible that promises stability.  We are so often uncertain in this life, and there are so many substitutes that calm anxious nerves for hours or days or months.  I can build upon these foundations for a time, and it soothes me.
  And yet, Lord, you gently reprimand, you softly and sweetly call us back into the deeper waters of discipleship, where things are less certain and more dependent on you.  To me, it feels scary, and yet it is ultimately the safest place to be, because as long as my eyes are fixed on you, the things of the world that threaten me will be recognized as distractions that cannot kill me, that cannot rip me from your arms.
  This is the work you have been doing for centuries, calling your people back to you, away from the sin of idolatry, away from the visible certainty and security we crave so deeply that it drives us from you and into building worldly kingdoms that, while visibly strong for a moment, will ultimately fail.  You have been building your kingdom, calling your people, here on earth, and nothing shall tear your kingdom down.  You call us, Lord, and you redeem your people, day in and day out, as your Spirit works among the world, sowing seed to bring your people back to you.
  Lord, may I join in this effort, recognizing your wisdom and power and the security I find only in you.  May this day be a joyous day of worship in you, and may I serve you with gladness in my heart all the day long.

Amen

No comments: